The environment plays an important role in the existence and development of human beings. However, with the rapid development of society, the environment has faced many challenges and negative impacts from human activities.
Therefore, monitoring has become extremely necessary to monitor and protect the environment. This article will clarify the concept of environmental monitoring, regulations on environmental monitoring, and the importance of monitoring for businesses.
Concept and regulations on environmental monitoring
According to the regulations in Clause 25, Article 3 of the Environmental Protection Law 2020:
Environmental monitoring is the continuous, periodic, sudden, and systematic monitoring of the environmental components, factors influencing the environment, waste to provide information on the current state of the environment, environmental quality changes, and adverse environmental impacts.
Environmental monitoring helps us monitor changes in the environment. Helps to avoid the risks of pollution or environmental degradation. As well as providing timely measures for areas with potential or polluted environmental risks. At the same time, storing information during monitoring to provide a basis for data for future activities.
Regulations on monitoring
In addition, Article 106 of the Environmental Protection Law 2020 has general regulations on environmental monitoring as follows:
- Environmental monitoring includes waste monitoring and environmental monitoring, carried out through automatic monitoring, continuous monitoring, periodic monitoring, and monitoring at the request of competent state agencies.
- Investment projects, establishments, production facilities, concentrated service, industrial clusters that generate waste into the environment must carry out monitoring according to the provisions in Articles 111 and 112 of the Environmental Protection Law 2020, ensuring compliance with environmental technical standards.
- Encourage organizations, individuals to participate in environmental monitoring and disclose information on environmental quality to the community according to the provisions of law. Organizations, individuals monitoring the environment and disclosing information on environmental quality to the community are responsible to the law for the accuracy of the information.
- Environmental monitoring activities must ensure quality and quality control, provide accurate and reliable monitoring results.
- Environmental monitoring equipment must be inspected and calibrated according to the regulations of the measurement law.
According to statistics, Vietnam uses more than 100,000 tons of plant protection chemicals each year, disposes of more than 23 million tons of domestic waste, 7 million tons of industrial solid waste, and 630,000 tons of hazardous waste while waste and wastewater treatment are still limited.
The economic development, especially industrial production activities, has led to an increase in negative impacts on the environment. Economic development associated with environmental protection has always been one of the most important and top priorities for any country in the world.
Therefore, environmental monitoring is one of the indispensable and extremely important activities. Towards the goal of sustainable environmental development today, each of us needs to perform well in the field. At the same time, each individual contributes to protecting and developing the environment more and more sustainably.
The importance of environmental monitoring for businesses
Compliance with legal regulations and avoid legal violations
Help businesses comply with regulations, standards, and rules related to environmental protection. This is very important to avoid legal violations, avoid financial losses and business reputation.
Environmental protection and minimizing negative impacts
This helps businesses evaluate the impact of business activities on the surrounding environment. Help identify potential environmental issues and take measures to minimize negative impacts. Environmental protection is not only a social responsibility of businesses but also creates long-term benefits by maintaining a healthy and sustainable environment for the future.
Building image and reputation for businesses
Businesses that care about and implement environmental monitoring demonstrate their commitment to environmental protection and sustainable development. This contributes positively to building a positive image and reputation for businesses, increasing customer, shareholder, and public trust.
Meeting customer requirements and enhancing trust
More and more customers are interested in environmental issues and are willing to support green businesses. Helps businesses meet customer requirements, provide accurate information on the environmental impact of products and services, thereby promoting customer choices and enhancing trust and loyalty.
Creating new business opportunities and sustainable development
Hơn nữa, việc quan trắc môi trường có thể mở ra cơ hội kinh doanh mới cho doanh nghiệp. Với sự gia tăng của các quy định về môi trường, việc phát triển và cung cấp các giải pháp xanh, sản phẩm và công nghệ có khả năng bảo vệ môi trường sẽ trở thành một thị trường tiềm năng. Giúp doanh nghiệp nhận biết và tận dụng cơ hội này, tạo ra lợi nhuận và sự phát triển bền vững.
In summary, environmental monitoring is an important element in environmental management of enterprises. It helps businesses comply with regulations, meet customer and partner requirements, manage risk and improve performance, and build a positive image and brand. By implementing environmental monitoring, businesses can ensure that their business activities do not harm the environment and contribute to the protection and conservation of environmental resources for future generations.